FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 07/25/2013
REP. RANEY AND TEXAS WATER SMART URGE TEXANS TO CONSERVE WATER AS DROUGHT CONTINUES
AUSTIN, TEXAS - State Representative John Raney (Bryan/College Station) is encouraging families and businesses in Brazos Valley to use Texas Water Smart’s water conservation tips as the severe drought continues to put pressure on the state's limited water sources.
“As historic drought conditions persist in Texas, I urge our families and small businesses to do more to conserve our water resources,” said Representative Raney. “By following the easy-to-do water conservation tips outlined by Texas Water Smart, every person can make a positive impact and help ensure there is enough water for our community and for future generations.”
The water conservation tips include:
• Water your yard only in the morning or evening.
• Adjust sprinklers so only your lawn is watered.
• Check outdoor faucets, sprinklers and hoses for leaks.
• Use a thick layer of mulch in your planting beds.
• Use drip irrigation or soaker hoses for shrubs and trees.
• Use watering cans for your patio plants.
• Water your plants deeply, but less frequently.
• Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway and sidewalk.
For more helpful tips and information, visit www.TexasWaterSmart.com or www.facebook.com/TexasWaterSmart.
Representative Raney is finishing his first full term in the Texas House of Representatives. He serves on the committees on Higher Education, House Administration, and Appropriations. He also serves on the Appropriations subcommittees for Budget Transparency and Reform and Articles VI, VII, and VIII.
Texas Water Smart is a public-private coalition that was launched in 2012 to promote smart water conservation that improves Texas’ environment while protecting the freedom of businesses to operate responsibly. The Texas Water Smart program educates businesses and families about how they can take simple, proactive steps to conserve water during drought. Over 135 legislative members and over 50 businesses have joined this coalition.