FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 01/31/2013
Representative Villalba Announces Committee Assignments
Will serve on Business and Industry and Environmental Regulation Committees during first term
AUSTIN – Speaker Joe Straus today announced appointments for House Committees for the 83rd Texas Legislature. Representative Jason Villalba (District 114) will serve on the Business and Industry and Environmental Regulation Committees during his first full term serving in the Texas House of Representatives.
“I look forward to working with my colleagues to develop and pass sound public policy that addresses the needs of our state,” said Representative Villalba. “There are many challenging issues we will face during the 83rd Session and through my efforts on these two substantial committees, touching every area of commerce in the state, I can be an effective voice for the constituents of House District 114 and the greater Dallas region."
Business and Industry — The seven member committee, chaired by Representative René Oliveira (District 37), has jurisdiction over all matters pertaining to:
• industry and manufacturing;
• industrial safety and adequate and safe working conditions, and the regulation and control of those conditions;
• hours, wages, collective bargaining, and the relationship between employers and employees;
• the regulation of business transactions and transactions involving property interests;
• the organization, incorporation, management, and regulation of private corporations and professional associations and the Uniform Commercial Code and the Texas Revised Limited Partnership Act;
• the protection of consumers, governmental regulations incident
• thereto, the agencies of government authorized to regulate such activities, and
• the role of the government in consumer protection;
• privacy and identity theft;
• homeowners’ associations; and
• oversight and regulation of the construction industry.
The committee has jurisdiction over the State Office of Risk Management, the Risk Management Board, the Division of Workers’ Compensation of the Texas Department of Insurance, the workers’ compensation research and evaluation group in the Texas Department of Insurance, the Office of Injured Employee Counsel, including the ombudsman program of that office, and the Texas Mutual Insurance Company Board of Directors.
Environmental Regulation — The nine member committee, chaired by Representative Patricia Harless (District 126), has jurisdiction over all matters pertaining to:
• air, land, and water pollution, including the environmental regulation of industrial development;
• the regulation of waste disposal;
• legislation relating to environmental matters that are regulated by the Department of State Health Services;
• legislation relating to environmental matters that are regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality; and
• oversight of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality as it relates to environmental regulation.
The committee has jurisdiction over the Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission.
A fourth-generation Texan, Rep. Villalba was the first in his family to graduate from college. He worked his way through Baylor University where he studied economics and finance. Rep. Villalba graduated in 1992 with a Bachelor of Business Administration. He then attended the University of Texas School of Law, receiving his Juris Doctor in 1996. Prior to becoming a practicing business attorney, Rep. Villalba worked as a financial analyst. His practice focuses on the areas of public and private securities law, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law. He is now a partner at one of the most respected law firms in Dallas, Haynes and Boone. On January 8th, 2013, Rep. Villalba took the oath of office to serve as the Texas State Representative for House District 114.